POISONOUS GASES in the WORKPLACE

By December 10, 2015Public Blogs

Basic Safety

Make the Workplace Safer

  • Never mix any cleaning solutions together.
  • Install, maintain and always pay attention to Carbon Monoxide detectors &alarms.
  • Never store dry ice in a confined, occupied space.
  • Always wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by a product’s MaterialSafety Data Sheet (MSDS). Follow Safe Work Practices
    • NEVER mix bleach products with ammonia products.
    • Always make sure you have proper ventilation in rooms using gas-fired equipment such as heaters and water heaters run by natural gas or propane.
    • Dry ice is sometimes used to keep food cool during outdoor activities such as catering events. Dry ice should never be stored indoors and always used in a well-ventilated area.
    • Always read a product’s MSDS before using the product. Pay particular attention to any safety precautions and personal protective equipment that might be needed to aid in safe breathing.
    • f using flammable liquids, be aware of the fumes which may have a very low ignition point.

       

      Gases & Symptoms

  • Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless poisonous gas. Symptoms include headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, cough, nausea, and dizziness. High levels of CO can cause loss of consciousness and death.
  • Mixing ammonia products with chlorine products forms hydrochloric gas also known as Chlorine gas. Chlorine gas is a deadly gas and will usually irritate the eyes and lungs. High levels in enclosed areas can cause death.
  • Dry ice is a form of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) which is an odorless, colorless gas. Excessive amounts of CO2, especially in an enclosed area will cause unconsciousness and ultimately death.

    First Aid

  • If you detect the presence of any of these gases, move out of thearea into fresh air as soon as possible.
  • If you find someone unconscious, attempt to move them or ventilate the room. Be aware that there is probably still poisonous gas in the area and you should wear the required personal protective equipment before rescue.
  • Dial 9-1-1 and do not hang up until instructed to do so.
  • Monitor the unconscious and provide basic first aid/CPR as required.
  • Always follow the emergency procedures on a product’s MSDS.

View PDF Here

Leave a Reply